Antonio “Tony” Maisto graduated from Bartlett High School in 1942. He was a three letterman, playing football, basketball and baseball.

The inscription under his name in the Bartlett High School 1942 yearbook reads as follows: “Tony is known to us as an outstanding athlete; he captained our football team, was a star player in basketball, and showed great ability in baseball”. He was the 1942 Hebert C. Branch award winner, an award given to the top athlete in the class.

In football, Tony’s best sport, he was described by the Webster Times as “tough, powerful, fast, and an accurate passer”. He played halfback on offense and linebacker on defense for BHS Hall of Fame Coach, George Finnegan. Tony was described by the Webster Times as “a triple threat in football, as evidenced in the Palmer game, when he passed for a touchdown, caught a touchdown pass and scored on a sweep from his running back position.”

Despite a loss to Southbridge on Thanksgiving Day of his senior year, he was singled out by the Webster Times on the following Thursday as “being the outstanding Bartlett player on Thanksgiving Day morning.” Tony not only excelled on offense, but also was described as a tenacious defender. Due to his outstanding efforts on the gridiron he was named as one of Worcester County’s Outstanding Gridders.

In basketball, Tony played guard. His role was primarily that of a passer and a rebounder. Despite his lack of height, he was an excellent jumper and a tough defender.

In the spring, Tony showed his versatility by being able to play either infield or outfield for Coach Finnegan. The Webster Times, in the spring of 1942, referred to him as “a solid hitter, an excellent fielder, and a speedster on the base paths”.

Like so many young men of that time period, upon graduation, Tony joined the Army, proudly serving his country during World War II. Following the war, Tony was the star running back and linebacker for the Webster Colonials, the highly successful Webster-based semi- pro football team

Tony married Charlotte Dabrowski and resided in California until the time of his death in 1994.